Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Generous

I sometimes hear the word "generous" to compliment this or that coach. Someone compliments this or that coach saying that he/she is generous with their knowledge.

And I always find this funny, because the best coaches I know are not generous with their knowledge. In fact, when talking to people that are not their athletes, they hardly talk about training or coaching. Of course, some of them are somewhat secretive. But most of them know that without in-depth knowledge about an athlete and his training background, it is very easy to just give out the wrong kind of advice. So it is better to just keep your mouth shut.

What most people don't realize is that those that offer unsolicited advice and are always eager to share their "knowledge", are either doing it in order to generate business for them or because they seek validation from these interactions with athletes. Or both. They are not doing it for you, they are doing it for them.

5 comments:

khai said...

I disagree. Dev Paul, for example, is extremely generous with his triathlon knowledge and takes every opportunity to share his wisdom!

I'm going to go out and run 100 times in 100 days and make sure that I have someone analyze my form and technique - all the while ensuring that I never get too tired to do "life stuff" - because as a non pro, being shelled is simply unacceptable.

Unknown said...

bWhat is the point of this blog then!

Marcos Apene do Amaral said...

Amazing! Have you read chuckiev blog? Forgot me?
Cheers, Marcos

Paulo Sousa said...

Who?

Colin said...

Genius Khai, pure genius.