Thursday, August 6, 2009

And today's rant is on testing

"When there is some sort of test that improves performance, I will do it. Most of those tests only serve to either be another service that you can charge athletes, or a way of justifying pseudo-scientific work and/or jobs. If I thought lactate tests were helpful, I would do them myself. I STOPPED doing lactate tests back in 2003. VO2max tests are interesting, but with little value to the training process. Not to mention that there is research that found no correlation between lactate test results and performance. What happens is that everyone is SO happy to do that kind of testing, they feel good about the pseudo-scientific side that adds to training. My personal favorite is doing tests at the beginning of the season, so when you repeat the tests a few weeks later, there is so much improvement, you feel so good about yourself! So it's not that I am old-school, or ignorant about these matters, it's just that when it comes to training I am only interested in performance".

8 comments:

Jayson said...

I do tests all the time. i.e. last month I rode up this hill - I'll try today and see if it's easier.

I'm right with you. I'm sure it's wonderful to know the numbers, but at the end of the day how do you perform.

Colin said...

Why is the whole rant in quotes?

Paulo Sousa said...

I ranted on an email and then pasted it here :-)

Unknown said...

Really! And what do you use to track progression? What performance numbers do you consider the most important under your coaching philosophy?
One that I really like and I am trying to record is being capable of loading more training on an athlete regimen.
What about you!
Amazing to read you more frequently!
See you, Marcos

Marcos Apene do Amaral said...

The last post was mine!

Ben Greenfield said...

Huh. I disagree. I'm going to comment on Podcast Episode #55 on my website.

Paulo Sousa said...

Looks like I'm going to miss it...

Unknown said...

to support coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol136/table.htm The part that sucks is that I recently bought a LT testing device, I will use it for shits and giggles but I guess in the end all that matters is what u do on the road. Don't miss the pod cast u might be enlightened :)